Cow Horn Spoon Set
Valued for both its hardness and its ability to become soft and pliable when heated, Ankole cattle horn has been used by East Africans for centuries. The spoons were cut by hand, shaped, molded at high temperatures, meticulously sanded, and then polished for a smooth and shiny finish.
Due to the considerable size of Ankole horns and their wide range of naturally occurring colors, this spoon set is truly one-of-a-kind; no two are exactly alike. Ankole cow horn is indigenous to East Africa, making this material extremely rare.
Each spoon set is individually crafted from start to finish by an artisan in a fair trade environment in Uganda. Imperfections are expected and contribute to the uniqueness of your handmade good.
- Made by Rose & Fitzgerald in Uganda, East Africa
- Materials: 100% Ankole cow horn, ethically sourced
- Measurements: Spoons are approximately 6.5 - 7 inches in length and .5 inches deep (a slight variation in size is expected).
- Colors: Light & Dark Marbled Variants
- Care: Because this spoon set is made of pure horn, which is made up of keratin protein, there are special considerations for its proper care. Each spoon should be cleaned after use using only lukewarm water. They should never be left soaking or placed in a dishwasher, but rather should be dried immediately using a soft cloth. If immersed in water for too long, they could potentially give off a natural sulphur smell, which should dissipate once they are dry and over time with use. It is important to avoid leaving your horn items near heat sources or in direct sunlight, as warm temperatures can cause the horn to dry out or change shape.